Friday, October 2, 2009

It's a foreigner!

There are many things that really shouldn't surprise me about traveling in China. I know I should expect the unexpected... and yet I forget. For example, the tradition for people to perform or randomly ask you to speak to a class of university students for a whole hour. And then the next hour and yet another. And even ask you to sing a song for them! yes, all this and more. And I have to consciously make myself try not to feel like a foreigner, when so many people are watching everything you do. I get used to the looks, and most of the time that's all it is. But, yesterday, the last day of my trip, a little boy suddenly looked up at me. And to his surprise, saw a strange sight. He declared with a surprised expression "Yi ge wai guo ren!" (It's a foreigner!") haha. I laughed for a while at that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment